Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Expectations!


If fazal were to define the word “Expectation’ it would be –“The single largest root cause of all the misery in the world.”

Over the past few days I have been quite upset with myself, things and people around me. And one thing leads to another and before I even realize what is happening with me, things just start to get all the more worse. And then I am left to brood over as to why I keep finding myself in the same trench time and again.

And unlike the long hours we spend in meeting rooms to brainstorm the root causes of project failures and represent the causes in a form of a fishbone diagram, it hardly even took me a minute to realize why was everything going wrong in my case. All I had to do was put the different events in context. Very soon I could see a definite fish skeleton building up, and the skeleton had only one bone with only one word ‘EXPECTATIONS’.

The irony in this case, is not that I am failing to live up to my expectations. Was that the case, I could ve sure set some realistic expectation, and tried to be contend by being a low achiever and thereby saving myself of all those unmemorable moments in life.

Sometimes I am not sure if it is just me, or is it me just being overtly human? I really expect a lot from people around me. I use the phrase “a lot” not cos what I expect is really a lot, but because no one even comes anywhere close to it. These are the smallest of things, the simplest of things.

“It’s better to live life in hopes, as hopes never die. But never live life in expectations, as expectations often fail you, and when they fail, life seems to come to end, as it goes the extra mile to kill all your hopes as well’

No comments: