Friday, November 13, 2009

On this day 13th..


Jul 2005, Fresh out of college, with some flying scores and a Bachelors Degree in Information Technology, I was all fretful when I set feet into the job market. While in college I had only taken up one campus recruitment test and I went all the way to the final round and didn't make it in the end. I had lotta hopes pinned up then.
I was very keen and desperate to pick a job as early as possible, cos then I had some promises to keep. There was someone waiting for me and it was not just my prospect but our future which was to take shape. I wanted to settle down abroad and before I made that leap I wanted to ensure I had some experience with me and at the same time, I also wanted to make sure I was self dependent before I could speak to my potential in-law's.

As I kept trying for jobs, it was not a good experience to start off with. Walk-in is never easy. Sometimes I would just come back not getting a chance to be able to make my way through the crazy mob that used to gather in front of the centres. Made two futile attempts at two different companies and didn’t even make it through the written aptitude rounds.

It was on one such day in Nov 2005 that Chetan(My friend/my classmate) calls me up and asks me to come to Koramangala as there were a few openings in the company which he jus joined. I rushed. I gave my written tests. An aptitude test, a technical paper and then an essay round. The lady HR said she would get back by EOD(End of Day)

While I was heading back home, the HR calls me and informs me that I have cleared my written rounds, and then I would have group discussion the following day. So then it was the round of GD. 3 rounds of GD with some really strong contenders. I managed to survive. And then we were taken trough the technical rounds of interview the same day. And in the end, I felt positive I would make it through. I got a call the next day saying I have been selected and I could come and take my offer letter. I was all ecstatic. It was my first job and I knew it was important for me to keep moving and not fritter away time.

And it was on this very day, 4 years back 13th of Nov 2005 that I joined Aztec. There is something else about the date 13th. My Kismat Connection was born on this eventful date; fortunately for me not the same year (Sad Joke). The journey from Aztec to Aztecsoft to Mindtree has been really a great experience with my career growth on the fast lane. Four years and four back to back promotions is something I can brag of. Have been really privileged in that sense for having worked with some real great leaders (I wouldn't call them managers). I have learnt a lot. I am still learning, and will continue to learn.


4 years is not something I had foreseen when I started. But then there were lotta other things which I had never foreseen back then. I have lost something that I never wanted to let go, and somehow the thought always continues to haunt me. May be that is one reason I have always tried to keep myself engaged in work. My effort along with my share of good fortune has taken me places. From Austria to Germany to Italy and now to Malaysia. I am travelling around the globe.

All said, it's been a memorable 4 years and something that I can showcase in my resume. It's a different thing and ironical that my technical knowledge does not reflect my years of technical experience. May be that's why I find people around me these days telling, "Fazal, you are wasting your life here." Not sure if I'll complete my 5th year in this industry. Time will tell.

So time for thanksgiving again. I ll make it short. And interestingly the reasons for my success so far have all been women. My mom, My sis and My lost love. Thanks to the three of you. My mom for all her prayers, my sister for all her support, my lost love for being my reason to live.
Love you all.......

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats dude. Time goes so soon. Still I remember our college days :)

Fazal C said...

thanks to my only reader cum commenter :)
True, its hard to believe that it is 4 yrs since I passed out, and * yrs since you passed out.(* to hide your age)
It never feels like its been so many yrs since we passed out.. I still feel like I ve jus graduated.

Snow Queen said...

Hey!! Congraatz on completing 4 yrs at work bro....n itz good to see that u r still learning....it never is late to learn and you always feel that college days were like y'day!!!

Fazal C said...

Thank you so much :)

Kiran said...

Fazal..u should have thanked all ur managers as well...i think u forgot...just kidding...:-)..Anyways congrats