Sunday, July 1, 2007

TEAM


Team Bonding!!!
Team Spirit!!!
Team Player!!!

Ever since the days I have stepped into the corporate world, I have been hearing this word a lot. And a lot of emphasis is laid on the word “TEAM”!!!
Esp in the team that I work in, my PM (Project Manager) lives and dies by the word “TEAM”, Team Bonding” :)
and he leaves no stone unturned in trying his best to do it.
Team lunches, team outings, team meetings, team movies……. The list just went on, and sometimes the word “Team” would start eating my head

So when so much emphasis was being laid about this four letter word, I got curious to know what it is about this four letter word that is of so much significance.
How many times haven I heard “It’s not the individual interests, it’s the team’s interests that count!!!”

Is this four letter word bigger than an individual??? After all, isn’t it an individual who leads a team??

So I got down into my exercise…

The first thing that I had to do was to get along with my work. And of course as I spend a major part of my time at office, its more my first home and so, I needed to learn to live in harmony with people who sit next to me and work with me. The ride was not easy, for it’s very hard to get along with people who have varied background and different attitude levels. I ran into all kind of problems. I used to keep complaining and cribbing.

I used to always wish, “Wish I could have chosen my team mates with whom I get to work”.

And somehow without even me realizing, I have almost spent 2 long years in this corporate world and I have spent this almost 2 years with people who sit around me, and whom I call “My Team” now :)

“Team” is not a mere four letter word. The analogy below will explain my understanding.

As a brick is to a houseA team member is to a Team.

As cement and mortar is used to place the bricks togetherA team member’s attitude is used to hold team members (the bricks) together in a Team.

As the paint, the interiors, the furnishing, the looks are to a house Members performance, projects success adds to the Team.

As a Head of Family/Owner is for a houseA Project Manager is to a Team


Now isn’t it simple :) Team is not just a house, it’s a home :) Home for all its team members.

One member’s short comings are made up for by the other person. Collectively put, this is the main ingredient to a Projects Success.

Just imagine if one of the ingredient that makes up the team is not in place like may be the team members attitude, the bricks ll start to fall out of place and the cracks can be clearly visible on the wall and this is when the House owners trouble really beings :)

I personally don’t own a house, so I really don’t know how the house owner must feel like, but for sure even as a member of the house, when I see cracks on my wall its not a nice feeling. It’s a sign of an impending doom. The doom might be distant but its inevitable. One day the house will collapse if left to itself.

I know I ll make my PM read this article for somehow he knows what makes me write this article :)

1 comment:

Liquidator said...

You had me on your page dude!!Good to see you writing blogs and venting your thoughts...It helps:-)
In the teamwork terminlogy, there is one role, which i truly feel describes u the best - The Finisher :-). But i want to you to don the role of - The Shaper.and when you master that, there is no stopping, you can be amongst the best managers :-) Best of luck dude!!
And as far as the word Team is concerned - The word is always on the tip of my tongue. It's just that i need to use them fittingly. I am perpetually tongue-tied.You will remember me for this sometime dude:-)