Saturday, October 17, 2009

Seeing her go...

I told her I would leave office early and at any cost make sure I am there at the promised time.

But as always, every time I have something imperative outside office, something or the other goes wrong. At 5PM she gives me a call asking where am I? Yes, that was the time I had promised her that I would be there.

I didn’t have to explain, like always even before I could say she understood and asked me by what time latest could I make it. I told her in another hour’s time I would make sure I am there.

And finally at 6 I managed to leave office. Thanks to Diwali Eve Rush, I was trapped in swarming traffic. Somehow making my way through frenzied traffic I hurried.

Finally I made it. She looked at me; she smiled and then looked at the time. And gave me this look. I, as always gave a dumb look and a remorseful smile.

She is used to this by now. She didn't say anything, and just smiled back.

Being guilty of having made her wait and having messed up her plans for the evening, I asked her if there was something I could do.

She in her every comforting voice told me that she is more than happy and at the same time glad that I didn’t make her wait any further.

It was the day she was supposed to leave. It was again one such day in my life, which I always dread, letting go people whom I love. It was time for her go, and in the process depart from someone to whom she meant all his world.

It was time for my Mommy dear to join sister, jeej and her little grandson whom she misses the most. Mom was completely prepared. She had done all her packing, she had all her travel documents ready and she had her own checklist in her mind which she kept checking it time and again to ensure everything was in place.

After having dropped her at the airport I was standing outside and waiting for mom to get her boarding pass. Silently I watched her go through all the process and once she got her boarding pass, mom came out and told me "I have got my boarding pass. You go back now and take care".

Did I shed a silent tear? I don’t know. But it was nice to see mom totally in charge, totally poised, totally calm. Mom over the years has become more composed thanks to an irresponsible son like me.

Sometimes in life we get to see our parents grow in front our eyes. And in that too they go on to teach us a lesson, as to how important it is to not make your life dependent on someone.

Miss you mom..

2 comments:

Snow Queen said...

So, aunty is back at Dxb now? n u on Malaysia trip...good...have fun n take care.....

Fazal C said...

Yes, mom is back to Dubai. And I ll soon be returning back to Blore. Home Alone Saga starts soon...