Thursday, November 13, 2008

Celebrating 3 years at work


As fazal completes 3 years at work, fbs (fazalblogspot) caught up with fazal to share some of his momentous moments over the last 3 years. Here are some interview extracts....

Fbs : Hello fazal. Congrats on having completed 3 years at work. So how are you planning to celebrate this occasion?
Fzl : Thank you :) (All confused and all excited - this is the first time someone is interviewing fazal)
I still find it hard to believe that I have completed 3 years. It feels like I just completed my graduation yesterday.
And coming to the celebration plans? I have just decided to spend the day at office going about my usual chores. I don't want my 3rd anniversary to be my last working day at office.

Fbs : (laughing) So fazal how has it been, these 3 years of work life?
Fzl : Its been a potpourri. A period of ups and downs, Joy and sorrow. Hatred and love, learning and de-learning. Only good thing in life is that I now I have financial independence :) (But I still have my loans to repay and credit card bills to settle - can I still call it financial independence?)

Fbs : The one defining moment in your career over the last 3 years?
Fzl : Oh, that's a tough one. Because there have been lots of defining moments, some personal some official. So I would not pick one moment. (But actually yes, the day I decided to become an s/w engineer was the most defining moment in my life. I dug my own grave)

Fbs: Your lessons learnt?
Fzl : ha-ha... It's true when people say, learning never ends in life. Every single day at work you learn something new. It could be a thing as simple as how can I get along with the person sitting next to me.
However something that I would want to share...
* You as a resource is at the end of the day are only as good as how good your manager is. You might have done the shabbiest of works or the best of work. But if your manager is no good, then you are in for tough times in your career.
* You need to learn to say "NO" to some things. Else you will become a loser at work who ends up doing all possible work for everyone around you and people will walk away with all the credit.
* Your company is not there to look into your welfare. After all they are doing business, be it with their clients or with their employees. Their welfare is all that matters.
* Never get emotionally attached to people in your project or work. It makes life a lot difficult. Learn to be practical in life.
* For heaven’s sake, stay out of office romance. Office is not a place to flirt or make love. (But only a looser like me will miss out on the pretty ones, so you guys better take her number and call her after office or meet her outside office)
* Lastly try managing a balance with your personal life and official life. Try not taking your work home. Try not carrying your mood home. Your family has no role to play for the bad day you have had in office.
I know I have still not succeeded in this. But I am trying.

Fbs: (yawning) fazal, how is it that you have stuck on to the same company for 3 years?
Fzl: Oh, I hate job hopping. I love my job and my work place.
(Liar!!! The truth - I know if I quit here, no other company will take a dumb guy like me)
And in my case, I do not have to change companies. The company itself is changing. From aztec to aztecsoft to now Mindtree

Fbs: So looks like you really love your company?
Fzl: Huh, I wouldn’t wish even my worst enemy such bad days in life.
(If my employers’ are reading this.. Oh, I don’t ever remember giving such an interview, guess they heard or understood me wrong, I can give a press conference to clarify things)

Fbs: fazal, how is it that a person like you, and we still haven't heard a SINGLE gossip about you being behind/ going on with someone at work?
Fzl: ha-ha.... (Moron!!! what does he mean by person like me!! Freak!) Smiles.
Like I said before, I hate the concept of love at work. And more over, girls these days are getting smarter and smarter which is not helping. And these days you never know, a slightest gesture might be taken the wrong way, and the last thing I would want is being shown the door for the wrong reasons. :) I value my job.
(Are all losers good at coming up with such good excuses or is it just me?)

Fbs: Any plans of marriage? Guess all the bloggers reading this would be interested to know...
Fzl: (Laughs) only a totally insane father will get his daughter married to me at this stage. And I don't think any father will hate his daughter to such an extent that he might want to get her married her to me. It’s not just about "fazal" the person, the software Industry itself is entering into its bad days, time alone will tell who all manage to see off this rough tides ahead.

Fbs : Thanks fazal, it’s been a pleasure to have you on our blog and having spent some time with us
Fzl : Thanks for having me, it’s always been my pleasure to share my thoughts with you guys. (Hurray… that’s my first interview, which will be published live on fazal’s blogspot)

1 comment:

Ousizch said...

This may be a bad comment...but We want to promote your blog with our directory...

hope you can visit and browse here:
http://future76.blogspot.com