Sunday, November 2, 2008

The truth above reviews...







Last "Diwali" while i was out looking to buy a new TV for home, I was confused as to what to buy given the plethora of brands in the market, and choices within each brands. That's when a good friend of mine warned me, before you buy any product go on line and read the reviews.
Makes sense, and so I started to read all reviews about the various models I came across and eventually after having read and analyzed them, it was easy for me to make a choice and finally I did manage to buy a TV. One year down the line, I can happily claim, I made a good choice.
And ever since I have been living in this world of reviews. Before I step out into the market to buy any gadget or any machinery or any article, I read all possible reviews and then try and make my mind.
But now this addiction to reading reviews and then deciding on what to do, is taking its toll on my already very confused mind which almost likes every second thing my eyes sees :)
Over the last few weeks since I have lost my cell, I have done all possible RnD and read almost all reviews available on every single phone that I have liked, and every single phone that the reviewer recommends. All and all, my already confused mind made me even more confused after having read the countless reviews.
With the number of Internet users growing every single second, more and more people getting tech savvy and gadget crazy, things are not getting any better for people like me who try to get some information from the "Guru's" about the products through their reviews. These days anyone and everyone is a self proclaimed guru or wants to be a Guru.
The truth that I have come to realize and something that i strongly believe in is..
No two people under the sky are same. No two people under the sky think the same or feel the same. So its quite obvious given a single product to two different people, both will have different opinions and rightly so. Now multiply this factor with the number of people using a single product and this translates to the number of diverse reviews you will get about most products. And in the end, a person like me who spent almost 3 weeks reading reviews about all the phones, comes to realize that eventually all handsets in the market are faulty.
I was so scared to buy a phone of which I had read a review, cos it seemed like I am knowingly buying a faulty piece.
So what do i buy???
This is when "fazal" the guru(yes the self proclaimed) wakes up....
Simple.. Just buy a cell about which you have never read a review!!!!!

And So Today FINALLY when i bought myself a phone, I was happy :) happy, not because I have bought myself a new cell, happy because I have bought myself a phone which has no known faults..
Sometimes ignorance is indeed bliss :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's my footprints:)...Rather i am forced to leave copmment.

No where u mentioned which TV or Phone u bought.

As you mentioned reading reviews make you more confused but atleast you would be aware of what all problems you might face.

few tips...as I too buy thngs after readibng reviews..
1) If many people complain about some same issue then there is a fault in the peice..or else ignore it.

2) try to go to professional sites like steve's reviews for camera's and handycam or cnet reviews to get reviews from professionals.

Ashwin

Fazal C said...

your review on my blog, accepted ;)