Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Laziness the key

I often wonder "Whether Laziness is the key to all Inventions"..

The need for Inventions and Innovations arise as people become lazy to do things the conventional way. Jus' give it a thought, Man was slothful to cycle, so he invented the moped, and then he invented the car (a pure luxury)

There have been so many instances at office with me, where in I have been so lazy to do things the conventional way, that I love to try something different. The pure urge to find an easy way out which ll make my life easy has always brought out the best in me. I still remember in the very recent past my idea clicked so well, that I was handsomely rewarded by the client. I had come up with this stupid graph which we used to make use of in our reports . To generate this graph the client would normally spend 15 mins or so. And using my technique it took us less than 5 mins and the graph was all the more customizable.

No!!! My blog is NOT a brag corner for me... Coming back...

And today was again one such day for me. Yesterday I was getting bored at office doing my usual chores and was looking for a break. And that's when a friend of mine said she was reading this novel by H.G.Wells, "The Invisible Man". She instantly sent me a soft copy of the book and the next minute I started reading. Having jus' read a few lines; I realized I have no patience to read. As my friend was already reading the book for herself, I was pestering her to read it aloud for me. .. (So that she could put me to sleep).
As I kept persisting, she finally agreed to gimme the "gist" of each chapter and it was nice. 4-5 pages of text in jus a few sentences. It was nice and easy.. Laziness brought out the better persuasive skill outta me.

But then unfortunately my friend was on leave today (Guess she must have fallen asleep giving me the "Gist" instead of putting me to sleep.) Somehow I was determined to finish the book today. But at the same time I had no patience to read through. That's when I remembered there is an option in "Adobe Acrobat Reader" an inbuilt feature in the application, where in the application will read out the document to you. (Jus what the doctor had prescribed for lazy one’s like me)
With options like, to be able to tweak the pitch of the voice, choose what voice you want (ya, I went for a female voice narration) and to select the reading speed, it was indeed quite an experience. And without the least effort I silently finish 5 chapters.

May be, this is when, I ought to say..... " What an Idea Sirji.."

No comments: