Friday, April 10, 2009

A story of a techie post and pre recession

Thanks to the economic recession, we techies are the least sort out people these days. Look at all the changes that have come by..

Then....
There used to be a time when I felt i was bein over loaded with work I used to walk up to my manager and speak to him. And then he would try sort it out, for the sheer risk of losing out a good resource.
Now...
I think twice before I complain about work. The simplest answer my manager gives me is, "Fine! if not you someone else...."

Then...
I had the luxury to chose the project I want and the attitude to say "No" to projects that i didn wanna work in
Now...
I have no say. I am at the mercy of other project managers.

Then...
Onsite opportunities were plenty.
Now...
Consider yourself lucky if you at least have an offshore job.

Then...
While on bench I had the luxury to try for jobs outside and attend interviews.
Now...
Being on bench is the most scariest thing. Never know when I might be asked to walk out.

Then...
It was easy for me to hop jobs at will and quote exorbitant salary.
Now...
I hardly get interview calls and I have to agree to work for a few pennies.

Then...
I used to get a 30% to 40% salary hike on my appraisals
Now...
I am forced to be content even on a single digit hike or no hike or sometimes even take a pay cut

Then...
I had the luxury to come to office when i want and leave when i want.
Now...
My attendance is tracked and I am forced to stick to office timings.

Then...
I could take leaves at will
Now...
I am scared to take leaves for the fear my leave might end up in a permanent vacation.

Then...
I used to get frequent calls offering credit cards and personal loans
Now...
I only get investment calls. (But where is the money to invest)

Then...
All my relatives and family friends were excited about my job
Now...
All Sympathize with my job and speak to me with grave concern

Then...
We guys had a very high market valuation in the marriage market.
Now...
Our value also has crashed just like the stock markets. And we are no longer the creamy layer or the most sort out people

Lastly...
Then...
I used to hardly blog. And people used to hardly read
Now...
I blog everyday and I have many more readers...
(And if you think I am bloggin more cos I am jobless, then I am sure you too are reading this jus cos you are as jobless as me)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow these are the true facts which we all are going thru :(

I hope old days comes soon.

Fazal C said...

that's cos you too are techie and to make matters worse you work in the US of "A".....