Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Things about my native.....


When It comes to their hometown, there are things which people always like and dislike. Though I have spent all my life in Bangalore, I was born in a little city in Kerala called Kannur (Cannanore), and so by definition Kannur becomes my hometown. But I always like to say to people that I am from Bangalore and rightly so :)
So this blog is about what I like the most and what I hate the most of my hometown, rather I use the word “my native place”..

What I like

-> All the love and care my close family members usher me with. May be because I visit them once in a year or sometimes once I two years.

-> For all the lush greenery I see all around me. For all the water bodies I see. The seas the rivers.. For a person who lives in a city with acute water shortage, seeing fresh water makes me feel like a small kid who just wants to run into the water and keep playing whole day…

-> Native to me is more like a re-habilitation centre, when I learn that it is possible to live life without internet, computer and my cell phone. Back in Bangalore I cannot imagine a single day without the three.

-> I am unaware of the happenings around the world. Sometimes feels nice to live a life where in you feel there exists no world outside your home. What surprises me the most is though there is a TV at home with cable connection I never bother to switch it on. And yes ofcouse we do get news paper at home, but thanks to my proficiency in Malayalam by the time I end up covering the first page news, the newspaper guy is already there to deliver the next day’s paper. So I never make an attempt to read paper either.

-> All my little cousins. There is always at any given time at least one little one at native. And considering the fact that how much I love kids, it’s always something that I look forward to.

-> When I get to watch movies in theatres at 1/10th the price I pay here in Bangalore. And also I get to go watch all second show movies, and mom never objects.


What I dislike

-> The heat, the humidity, I hate the way I sweat in the heat and when even my undies are soaked in sweat. I always like freezing temperatures. I hate to see the sun. I always love lousy weather, it makes me more active. The sun drains out the energy in me.

-> The food. The staple food of kerala is rice and fish. Rice for lunch is fine with me, but a strict NO for dinner and breakfast. You cannot expect me to eat rice 3-4 times a day. NEVER!!!

-> The frequent power-cuts. It’s literally impossible to live life in Kerala without your ceiling fan over-clocking. So moment there is no power, you can sense hell coming close to you.

-> MOSQUITOES!!!! Worse still are those creatures who not only suck all the blood outta my body but irritate me the most when they come and make noise right at my ears. Drives me MAD. Why cannot those stupid creatures just drink blood and buzz off!!!!

-> The way the city comes to a grinding halt at the very drop of a hat. Hartals/Strikes/Bandhs on a regular basis.

-> This is a new one. And may be a one of case. I hate native cos this is the place that my little Aman who is just four months old(my nephew) fell sick for the first time in his life. He is always been our most protected child. Considering the fact that how cheerful and ever playful Aman is, it was really tough for us to see Aman all down and crying… :’(

-> Lastly my native is also the place where in on a daily basis I get to see some creatures which I am really scared off!!! King Cobras, rat snakes, chameleons, mongoose, foxes, large spiders, Centipedes… Huh!!!! Deadly… Even more deadly and lethal are some of my relatives whom I hate the most…… :)

No comments: